Tuesday, August 08, 2006
Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie
I'm home sick today with a sore throat. The upside is it gives me a rare chance to blog before 8:30 at night. I made this pie on Sunday night but wasn't feeling well enough to write about it last night.
I like Strawberry-Rhubarb pie and I was going to make it before the apple pie but I couldn't find any rhubarb at the store, either fresh or frozen. I even went to two different stores and took my time walking up and down the produce aisle taking care to look for the celery-like ruby red stalks that I knew would be easy to overlook. No luck! I made apple instead. Then my roomie hopped on her bike to one of the two stores I had already been to. I got a call some time later asking me if I'd like her to buy some rhubarb. You can't imagine my surprise! I thought she was joking. I mean I looked high and low for the rhubarb and it was right there by the Swiss chard (I know I looked there).
You may be wondering what rhubarb tastes like, uncooked. I admit I wondered too and took a bit of a piece I'd cut for the pie. It was unpleasantly sour at first and tasted a lot like chard, in fact, but after a little bit it got a little better and tasted a lot like green apple. My book, "On Food and Cooking" says about rhubarb: "Rhubarb is a vegetable that often masquerades as a fruit...By the 18th century the English were using them to make sweet pies and tarts."
Well, in spite of my rhubarb-blindness, thanks to my eagle-eyed roomie, I bring you, Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie.
Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie
From MSN Lifestyle
Makes 1 nine-inch pie (about 8 servings).
Working time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Directions:
I wasn't as careful to crimp and seal the edges of this pie as I was with the apple so a lot of the pie juice bubbled out and I was worried it wouldn't be as moist as it should be inside. I baked my pie on the lower end at 45 minutes.
The result: A sweet and tart and yummy addition to your pie arsenal. The only thing I didn't like was the look of the filling. The red from the strawberry and rhubarb makes the sugar/flour mixture into this cotton candy pink syrup which I thought looked pretty gross. In fact, based on that, I thought it wouldn't taste any good, but it really did. The strawberries were soft and sweet and the rhubarb was tart and held together a bit more but was still tender.
And the crust! I finally get to weigh in on how the crust turned out--I love it! Will I start making my own crust instead of buying it, yes I will*.
*Provided I've planned ahead and have the time to do it, otherwise I'll still buy crust.
I like Strawberry-Rhubarb pie and I was going to make it before the apple pie but I couldn't find any rhubarb at the store, either fresh or frozen. I even went to two different stores and took my time walking up and down the produce aisle taking care to look for the celery-like ruby red stalks that I knew would be easy to overlook. No luck! I made apple instead. Then my roomie hopped on her bike to one of the two stores I had already been to. I got a call some time later asking me if I'd like her to buy some rhubarb. You can't imagine my surprise! I thought she was joking. I mean I looked high and low for the rhubarb and it was right there by the Swiss chard (I know I looked there).You may be wondering what rhubarb tastes like, uncooked. I admit I wondered too and took a bit of a piece I'd cut for the pie. It was unpleasantly sour at first and tasted a lot like chard, in fact, but after a little bit it got a little better and tasted a lot like green apple. My book, "On Food and Cooking" says about rhubarb: "Rhubarb is a vegetable that often masquerades as a fruit...By the 18th century the English were using them to make sweet pies and tarts."
Well, in spite of my rhubarb-blindness, thanks to my eagle-eyed roomie, I bring you, Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie.
Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie

From MSN Lifestyle
Makes 1 nine-inch pie (about 8 servings).
Working time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 2 disks Grandma's Pie Dough (1/2 recipe)
- 1 1/3 pounds rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 pound strawberries, hulled and halved
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
Directions:
- Heat the oven to 375°F.
- Roll out one disk of dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness, and transfer to a 9-inch pie pan.
- Set aside and keep chilled.
- Roll the remaining dough to 1/8-inch thickness and cut slits or use a miniature star cutter to create vents.
- Combine the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, and flour in a large bowl, and transfer to the prepared pie pan; drape the rolled-out dough over the pie.
- Trim the edges of both crusts, leaving a 1/2-inch overhand.
- Fold the dough under, lightly pinching to seal the top and bottom crusts.
- Crimp around the rim and chill for 10 minutes.
- Bake on the center shelf of the oven until golden brown (45 to 55 minutes).
- Cool on wire rack.
I wasn't as careful to crimp and seal the edges of this pie as I was with the apple so a lot of the pie juice bubbled out and I was worried it wouldn't be as moist as it should be inside. I baked my pie on the lower end at 45 minutes.
The result: A sweet and tart and yummy addition to your pie arsenal. The only thing I didn't like was the look of the filling. The red from the strawberry and rhubarb makes the sugar/flour mixture into this cotton candy pink syrup which I thought looked pretty gross. In fact, based on that, I thought it wouldn't taste any good, but it really did. The strawberries were soft and sweet and the rhubarb was tart and held together a bit more but was still tender.
And the crust! I finally get to weigh in on how the crust turned out--I love it! Will I start making my own crust instead of buying it, yes I will*.
*Provided I've planned ahead and have the time to do it, otherwise I'll still buy crust.