Sunday, August 06, 2006
Apple Pie
While mentally preparing to make this pie the night I made the crust I had the sudden and horrifying revelation that there is one kind of pan that I don't own--a pie pan. I made a mental note that I would have to make a trip to the store the next day. But more importantly, the realization that I have never. made. pie. I mean not pie in the, classic, American as version. Apple, Cherry, Peach, Key Lime, you name it and I haven't made it. I begin my pie education with the eponymous, Apple Pie.
Farmhouse Apple Pie
From MSN Lifestyle
Makes 1 nine-inch pie (about 8 servings).
Working time: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Ingredients:
Once sliced, just toss with the flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and lemon juice, and your filling is ready. What could be easier? Just pour it into your pie crust and cover with another layer of crust. I used a mini cookie cutter to cut out some pretty vents on the top before laying it over the apples.
I baked my pie for probably closer to 60 or 65 minutes until I could see the filling bubbling up inside.
The result: well, I served this pie at a pool party this weekend and there was one piece left I was looking forward to this evening...but my roomie scooped it up before I had the chance! She's promised to comment to let you all know how it turned out. I'm going to weigh in and surmise that it was pretty good since it didn't last more than 24 hours.
Tomorrow: strawberry rubarb pie.
Farmhouse Apple Pie

From MSN Lifestyle
Makes 1 nine-inch pie (about 8 servings).
Working time: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Ingredients:
- 2 disks Grandma's Pie Dough (1/2 recipe)
- 2 1/2 pounds mixed apples, peeled, cored, and chopped into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat the oven to 375°F.
- Roll out one of the disks of dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness; transfer to a 9-inch pie pan.
- Set aside and keep chilled.
- Roll the remaining dough to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Set aside on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and keep chilled.
- Toss the chopped apples, flour, 3/4 cup sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and lemon juice together and mix until combined.
- Pour apple mixture into the prepared pie pan and top with the remaining dough.
- Trim, leaving 1/2-inch overhang, fold under, and crimp edges.
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining tablespoon of sugar; chill for 10 minutes.
- Bake until fruit is bubbling and crust is golden brown (50 to 55 minutes).
- Cool on wire rack.
Once sliced, just toss with the flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and lemon juice, and your filling is ready. What could be easier? Just pour it into your pie crust and cover with another layer of crust. I used a mini cookie cutter to cut out some pretty vents on the top before laying it over the apples.I baked my pie for probably closer to 60 or 65 minutes until I could see the filling bubbling up inside.
The result: well, I served this pie at a pool party this weekend and there was one piece left I was looking forward to this evening...but my roomie scooped it up before I had the chance! She's promised to comment to let you all know how it turned out. I'm going to weigh in and surmise that it was pretty good since it didn't last more than 24 hours.
Tomorrow: strawberry rubarb pie.