Monday, January 29, 2007
Rosemary Loaf Cake
Since the unfortunate lemon-thyme crisp incident I've been reluctant to try another recipe that uses herbs otherwise reserved for cooking. I've decided it's been long enough and I will take a stab, hopefully in the right direction, with this recipe for rosemary cake.
Rosemary Loaf Cake
From How to be a Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson
Other things I didn't do quite as she said: I added all three eggs in before folding in some flour. I was using my mixer and I didn't want to stop in middle to fold in flour by hand. I don't think my batter has suffered because of this. I also stirred the chopped rosemary into the flours instead of folding it in by itself at the end. This makes it easier and incorporates the herb more evenly.
As usual, I opted for other than the 9x5-inch loaf pan--I don't have all night. Instead I'm using my new mini-mini loaf pan with 8 small loaves. They are baking in the oven right now and smell absolutely divine. It's been too long since I've had the aroma of something new in the kitchen.
* * *
The distinctive smell of rosemary was unmistakable when I took the loaves from the hot oven. My mini-mini loaves cooked for a total of 21 minutes. I probably could have taken them out a touch sooner, but they have a delicious looking golden brown rim surrounding each brimming top.
I will report on the result tomorrow since I have to let this teat cool completely before de-panning.
Rosemary Loaf Cake

From How to be a Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons soft unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cup self-rising cake flour (you can substitute regular cake flour in that amount with the addition of 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- needles from a 4 to 6-inch stalk of rosemary, chopped small, but not too fine (about 2 teaspoons)
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 9x5-inch loaf pan, buttered and lined with parchment or wax paper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl mix the flours and rosemary together with a whisk.
- Cream the butter, adding the sugar when it's really soft.
- Cream both together until pale and smooth and light.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, folding in a spoonful of flour after each addition.
- Add the vanilla.
- Fold in the flour using a rubber spatula, alternating with a tablespoon of milk to moisten the batter.
- When all of the flour is incorporated, thin the batter with the remaining milk--you're after a soft, dropping consistency--and pour, with some helpful prodding and scraping with your spatula, into the waiting pan.
- Cook for 1 hour, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack in its pan and when completely cool, unmold and wrap in foil until you need to eat it.
Other things I didn't do quite as she said: I added all three eggs in before folding in some flour. I was using my mixer and I didn't want to stop in middle to fold in flour by hand. I don't think my batter has suffered because of this. I also stirred the chopped rosemary into the flours instead of folding it in by itself at the end. This makes it easier and incorporates the herb more evenly.
As usual, I opted for other than the 9x5-inch loaf pan--I don't have all night. Instead I'm using my new mini-mini loaf pan with 8 small loaves. They are baking in the oven right now and smell absolutely divine. It's been too long since I've had the aroma of something new in the kitchen.
* * *
The distinctive smell of rosemary was unmistakable when I took the loaves from the hot oven. My mini-mini loaves cooked for a total of 21 minutes. I probably could have taken them out a touch sooner, but they have a delicious looking golden brown rim surrounding each brimming top.
I will report on the result tomorrow since I have to let this teat cool completely before de-panning.