Sunday, November 05, 2006
Rosebud Madelines
Another book I have on my baker's bookshelf is Nigella Lawson's How to be a Domestic Goddess. I bought it many years ago now and had the sudden and horrifying realization that the only thing I've ever made out of it (more than once, however) is a decadent brownie recipe that's really good. I took some time to refamiliarize myself with its contents and have marked several recipes that I will make in the near future. I've chosen to start with this madeline recipe that was easy, albeit a little time consuming. I didn't have a madeline pan when I decided to make this but a quick trip to the local Bed, Bath, and Beyond solved that problem. You really can't make these cookies without it.
Rosebud Madelines
From How to be a Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson
As you can see by the recipe, it's not terribly difficult to whip up this batter. You just need to plan for the resting stages to give yourself enough time before these need to be baked for company or your own enjoyment.
You don't get a huge amount of batter from this batch. Notice that Nigella uses mini-madelines. I used regular sized ones and I got a dozen and a half from this batch. Her recipe says you'll get 48 mini ones. It would be easy to double this batch, and I suggest it if you're using regular sized molds.
The result: I admit I've never eaten a madeline in my life. In spite of that I think the result was fairly true to form--a spongey soft, elegant and buttery cookie-cake that speaks softly of roses when you take in its fragrance. The only downside is that one of these delectable treats is gone in two to three modest bites. Absolutely best served with a cup of hot tea.
Rosebud Madelines

From How to be a Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson
- scant 1/4 cup unsalted butter, plus 1 tablespoon for greasing
- 1 large egg
- scant 2 tablespoons sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon rosewater
- 2 mini-madeline molds, for 24 madelines
- confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Melt the butter over low heat, then leave to cool.
- Beat the egg, sugar, and salt in an electric mixer for about 5 minutes, until it's as thick as mayonnaise.
- Then sprinkle in the flour by holding a fine-mesh sieve over the egg mixture and sifting it in.
- Fold in the flour with a wooden spoon.
- Fold in the 1/4 cup melted butter along with the rosewater.
- Mix well but not too vigorously.
- Leave to rest in the refridgerator for 1 hour, then take out and leave at room temperature for half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Generously brush the insides of the madeline molds with the tablespoon of melted butter before filling each well with about 1 teaspoon each of batter; don't worry about covering the molded indentations, in the heat of the oven the mixture will spread before it rises.
- Bake for 5 minutes, though check after 3.
- Turn out and cool on a rack.
As you can see by the recipe, it's not terribly difficult to whip up this batter. You just need to plan for the resting stages to give yourself enough time before these need to be baked for company or your own enjoyment.
You don't get a huge amount of batter from this batch. Notice that Nigella uses mini-madelines. I used regular sized ones and I got a dozen and a half from this batch. Her recipe says you'll get 48 mini ones. It would be easy to double this batch, and I suggest it if you're using regular sized molds.
The result: I admit I've never eaten a madeline in my life. In spite of that I think the result was fairly true to form--a spongey soft, elegant and buttery cookie-cake that speaks softly of roses when you take in its fragrance. The only downside is that one of these delectable treats is gone in two to three modest bites. Absolutely best served with a cup of hot tea.