Sunday, October 15, 2006
Cornmeal-Almond Biscotti
Ah aniseed. I longed to find a biscotti recipe with anise in it, like the Noni's biscotti I had the other week. And here it is. Given the large quantity of aniseed, I was worried it would be too heavy but in the end, it really was very nice.
Cornmeal-Almond Biscotti
From Once Upon a Tart...Soups, Salads, Muffins, and More by Frank Mentesana and Jerome Audureau
My advice is to go easy on the sugar. I probably used just over 1 cup in my batch. Also, I only had 1 tablespoon of almond extract left so that's what I used. This biscotti recipe has you use an electric mixer to bring the dough together that makes this very easy. The dough was a nice consistency and not too sticky. With a very light dusting of flour I used my hands to shape and form 2 shorter logs.
I baked them for about 35 minutes until the outside was a little crisp and when you pressed on the top it was firm. I then cooled, cut, and sent my biscotti wedges though their second baking which I hope they enjoyed very much. It brought out a golden color that I was able to get on both sides by taking them out of the oven about half way through and using tongs to flip each one.
The result: a dry, toasty and tasty biscotti infused with the mellow flavor and aroma of anise mingled along with almond. I really enjoyed the flavor of this biscotti. The crunch is helped along by the cornmeal and the anise seeds that are sprinkled throughout.
Cornmeal-Almond Biscotti

From Once Upon a Tart...Soups, Salads, Muffins, and More by Frank Mentesana and Jerome Audureau
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 1/2 tablespoons aniseed
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream the butter and sugar on high speed until they are light and fluffy about 5 minutes.
- With the mixer on low speed, beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Beat in the almond extract.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, cornmeal, anise seeds, baking powder, and salt together.
- Slowly add these dry ingredients to the wet, stirring on low speed until they are almost combined.
- Add the almonds and stir until the dough comes together in a ball.
- Dust the dough and your hands with flour and roll the dough into a log 4-inches in diameter and about 14 inches long. (If it's too long, cut the dough in half and make 2 logs.)
- Place the logs on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 35 - 40 minutes until the tops are golden brown and the log feels firm when you press on it.
- Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack--allow it to cool completely.
- Once cool, cut the log into 1/2 inch slices.
- Arrange slices on the baking sheet and bake for another 30 minutes, turning over once until they are crisp and golden brown.
My advice is to go easy on the sugar. I probably used just over 1 cup in my batch. Also, I only had 1 tablespoon of almond extract left so that's what I used. This biscotti recipe has you use an electric mixer to bring the dough together that makes this very easy. The dough was a nice consistency and not too sticky. With a very light dusting of flour I used my hands to shape and form 2 shorter logs.
I baked them for about 35 minutes until the outside was a little crisp and when you pressed on the top it was firm. I then cooled, cut, and sent my biscotti wedges though their second baking which I hope they enjoyed very much. It brought out a golden color that I was able to get on both sides by taking them out of the oven about half way through and using tongs to flip each one.
The result: a dry, toasty and tasty biscotti infused with the mellow flavor and aroma of anise mingled along with almond. I really enjoyed the flavor of this biscotti. The crunch is helped along by the cornmeal and the anise seeds that are sprinkled throughout.