Monday, October 02, 2006
Cantuccini (Classic Biscotti)
I went to a Sicilian-themed party a few weeks ago and had a very nice time. We were sent away with a small goody bag of Italian treats, including an individually wrapped biscotti. I finally ate it the other day and it was delicious and really made me long for more. So, that's how I got onto a biscotti-kick.
Cantuccini
From Baking with Julia
All you need to do is put the dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix them together and then in a small bowl whisk together the eggs and vanilla and then dump it into the dry. Mix until crumbly and then knead until smooth. That's it--you have biscotti dough. The author claims that this is a classic recipe.
Cut the dough in half and form into two flattened logs about 12 inches long and bake until firm. Cool, cut, and bake the cut slices for another 10 - 15 minutes. My second baking took a bit longer and I also flipped my slices mid way through to turn both sides a beautiful golden color.
I melted some semi-sweet chocolate chips (bitter sweet would be great too) in the microwave and dipped my cooled biscotti bottoms into it to add a bit more sweetness. This is entirely optional and up to you.
The result: a lightly cinnamon flavored, slightly sweet, dry and crunchy cookie that's perfect for dunking in your morning coffee or tea. The biscotti I had the other day had a light anise flavor that I really enjoyed, and I think you could either add a 1/4 teaspoon or substitute it for the cinnamon. I may have to try that very soon--as soon as I buy some anise seed.
Cantuccini

From Baking with Julia
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups unblanched whole almonds
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl and stir to mix.
- Stir in the almonds.
- Whisk the eggs and vanilla together in a small bowl, then stir them into the flour mixture.
- The dough may seem dry at this point, but it wil come together as it is kneaded.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until it is smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Divide the dough in half and shape each half into a 12-inch long log.
- Gently press down on the logs to flatten them until they are about 2 inches wide and 1 inch high.
- First Baking - Bake the logs for 30 minutes or until they are slightly risen and firm to the touch. Slide the logs, parchment paper and all, off the baking sheet and onto a cooling rack.
- Cool completely.
- Working with a sharp, serrated knife, cut the cooled logs diagonally into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Second Baking - Preheat oven to 350°F. Place the sliced cookies cut side down on the pans and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the biscotti are crisp and golden.
All you need to do is put the dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix them together and then in a small bowl whisk together the eggs and vanilla and then dump it into the dry. Mix until crumbly and then knead until smooth. That's it--you have biscotti dough. The author claims that this is a classic recipe.
Cut the dough in half and form into two flattened logs about 12 inches long and bake until firm. Cool, cut, and bake the cut slices for another 10 - 15 minutes. My second baking took a bit longer and I also flipped my slices mid way through to turn both sides a beautiful golden color.
I melted some semi-sweet chocolate chips (bitter sweet would be great too) in the microwave and dipped my cooled biscotti bottoms into it to add a bit more sweetness. This is entirely optional and up to you.
The result: a lightly cinnamon flavored, slightly sweet, dry and crunchy cookie that's perfect for dunking in your morning coffee or tea. The biscotti I had the other day had a light anise flavor that I really enjoyed, and I think you could either add a 1/4 teaspoon or substitute it for the cinnamon. I may have to try that very soon--as soon as I buy some anise seed.