Sunday, October 08, 2006
Apple Galette
Since I only used half the batch of galette dough I made yesterday, I decided to try my hand at an apple galette this morning. I got the filling recipe from Epicurious that received a 100% satisfaction rating and I am anxious to see how it turns out.
Apple Galette
From Epicurious.com
I used low-sugar apricot preserves for the base. I laid the apples down before tossing with the sugar and lemon zest so I just sprinkled it over the top of the apples and that seemed to work just fine.
This time, I brushed the entire folded-over crust edge with a light coating of milk and sprinkled it with the sugar. I hardly needed 1 tablespoon to provide an even, medium coating of sugar.
I baked this galette for 35 minutes and it came out with a beautiful golden color and crisp edges. The recipe on Epicurious.com uses a different crust and different baking instructions (which you can get to using the link above), but since I was using the crust from Baking with Julia, I decided to go with its temperature and time.
The result: A flaky, sweet, rich galette with a hint of tartness from the apricot preserves. The granny smiths loose turn soft and sweet and make a nice compliment to the tart apricot. Overall, I enjoyed the flavor, sweetnss, and texture of this dessert. This tart doesn't remind me of apple pie much given the flavors, but it is very nice and the apricot flavor lends a certain distinction to the dish. It reminds me a little of apple strudel. Compared to the berry galette, this one is much sweeter. This would make an ideal breakfast pastry.
Apple Galette

From Epicurious.com
- 1/2 recipe galette dough
- 1 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- Whole milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll it into an 11-inch circle that's about 1/8 inch thick. Since the dough is soft, you'll need to lift it now and then and toss some more flour under it and over the top.
- Roll the dough up around your rolling pin and transfer it to the prepared baking sheet.
- Combine apple slices, 2 tablespoons sugar, and lemon peel in medium bowl; toss to blend.
- Spread preserves over crust, leaving 1 1/2-inch plain border.
- Arrange apple slices in concentric circles atop preserves, overlapping slightly.
- Fold the uncovered border of the dough up over the filling, allowing the dough to pleat as you lift it up and work your way around the galette.
- Brush crust with milk.
- Sprinkle crust edges and apples with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake the galette for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the pastry is golden and crisp.
- Transfer baking sheet to a cooling rack and let the galette rest on the sheet for 10 minutes.
- Slip a wide spatula under it and slide it onto the cooling rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, cutting with a pizza wheel or a sharp knife.
I used low-sugar apricot preserves for the base. I laid the apples down before tossing with the sugar and lemon zest so I just sprinkled it over the top of the apples and that seemed to work just fine.
This time, I brushed the entire folded-over crust edge with a light coating of milk and sprinkled it with the sugar. I hardly needed 1 tablespoon to provide an even, medium coating of sugar.
I baked this galette for 35 minutes and it came out with a beautiful golden color and crisp edges. The recipe on Epicurious.com uses a different crust and different baking instructions (which you can get to using the link above), but since I was using the crust from Baking with Julia, I decided to go with its temperature and time.
The result: A flaky, sweet, rich galette with a hint of tartness from the apricot preserves. The granny smiths loose turn soft and sweet and make a nice compliment to the tart apricot. Overall, I enjoyed the flavor, sweetnss, and texture of this dessert. This tart doesn't remind me of apple pie much given the flavors, but it is very nice and the apricot flavor lends a certain distinction to the dish. It reminds me a little of apple strudel. Compared to the berry galette, this one is much sweeter. This would make an ideal breakfast pastry.