Sunday, August 20, 2006
Mocha Cupcakes
I thought this recipe sounded better than average. Judging by the fact that the ones I brought to work were all gone well before noon, I think people liked them. I thought this recipe was decent, but the cupcakes were not as flavorful as I'd hoped.
Mocha Cupcakes
From Razzle Dazzle Recipes
I alternately added my flour and coffee mixture in more than 3 parts, thinking that pouring in that much liquid in one fell swoop would not be very pretty.
I baked my cupcakes for probably 16 minutes and they were perfectly done with happy rounded tops that I've missed from many of the other cupcakes I've made recently.
The result: a firm, solidly chocolate cupcake. I was a bit disappointed that you don't really get much mocha flavor from the coffee, nor do you really taste any cinnamon. I'm sure they all work their magic somehow but it's not obvious. If you're really looking for a strong coffee flavor I recommend using 1 - 2 tablespoons coffee granules or substitute a good strong coffee or espresso for the 1/2 cup hot water with instant coffee. Nonetheless, these cupcakes were a hit with the office mates.
Mocha Cupcakes

From Razzle Dazzle Recipes
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coffee powder
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt, sour cream or whole milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Line 18 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Place the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Place the coffee powder and water in a small bowl and mix until the coffee has dissolved.
- Add the vanilla and milk and mix until well combined.
- Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle and beat until light, fluffy and lemon colored, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the egg and beat well.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add half of the flour mixture, and beat well.
- Add the coffee mixture and then the remaining flour mixture.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and fill the prepared muffin tins 2/3 full.
- Transfer to the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
I alternately added my flour and coffee mixture in more than 3 parts, thinking that pouring in that much liquid in one fell swoop would not be very pretty.
I baked my cupcakes for probably 16 minutes and they were perfectly done with happy rounded tops that I've missed from many of the other cupcakes I've made recently.
The result: a firm, solidly chocolate cupcake. I was a bit disappointed that you don't really get much mocha flavor from the coffee, nor do you really taste any cinnamon. I'm sure they all work their magic somehow but it's not obvious. If you're really looking for a strong coffee flavor I recommend using 1 - 2 tablespoons coffee granules or substitute a good strong coffee or espresso for the 1/2 cup hot water with instant coffee. Nonetheless, these cupcakes were a hit with the office mates.