Tuesday, August 01, 2006
Cream Cake and How the Pumpkin Creme Brulee Turned Out
Soooo, a few things before I get into the cream cake. First, it's been so hot lately I just haven't been able to bake a thing. It's finally cooling off tonight and should be cooler into the weekend which means I will renew my vows to bake like there's no tomorrow.
Second, I was going to make lemon mousse tonight, a recipe my sister recommended, and I was looking forward to it when I realized I didn't take the recipe home with me. I was really bummed because it wouldn't have involved using the oven and would have been something other than cake, which I've been making a lot of lately.
Third, the pumpkin creme brulee: the result. It was awesome. Smooth, silky, creamy, pumkiny goodness. I was worried that it wouldn't turn out right but it really did and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes creme brulee or pumpkin pie. If you really like pumpkin, I would try adding a little more to your batch of creme brulee, perhaps 1 1/2 cups pumpkin if you're making a full batch, to make it a bit more pumpkin flavored.
Cream Cake
From The Gourmet Cookbook Vol. I
I enjoyed the process of making this cake very much since it was very straightforward and easy. The batter was rather stiff after adding the cream egg mixture so I poured in another tablespoon of cream just to loosen it up a little bit. Overall the batter was very sticky and heavy. The recipe didn't say whether or not the batter would be on the dry side so I can't say whether this was right or not. I don't think it would hurt to up the amount of cream to 1 1/3 cup when pouring in the cup with the two eggs.
* * *
Okay so I just pulled the cake out after only 25 minutes and it's definitely done. I'm going to go with definitely add more cream to this cake. I think mine loooks dry. Taste test tomorrow and lemon mousse, I promise.
The result: an on the dry side, lightly flavored, but very nice cake. I almost want to call it closer to shortcake consistency, but not as dry and crumbly. The vanilla, of course, is the predominant flavor and aroma, and the cake has a light sweetness that is very pleasing. I think this would make a great tea cake and is excellent for anyone looking for a easy and delicious white cake recipe.
Second, I was going to make lemon mousse tonight, a recipe my sister recommended, and I was looking forward to it when I realized I didn't take the recipe home with me. I was really bummed because it wouldn't have involved using the oven and would have been something other than cake, which I've been making a lot of lately.
Third, the pumpkin creme brulee: the result. It was awesome. Smooth, silky, creamy, pumkiny goodness. I was worried that it wouldn't turn out right but it really did and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes creme brulee or pumpkin pie. If you really like pumpkin, I would try adding a little more to your batch of creme brulee, perhaps 1 1/2 cups pumpkin if you're making a full batch, to make it a bit more pumpkin flavored.
Cream Cake

From The Gourmet Cookbook Vol. I
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- about 3/4 cup whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Sift flour, sugar, and baking soda together into a medium bowl.
- Drop 2 eggs into a 1 cup measuring cup and fill to the 1 cup line with heavy cream.
- Add vanilla to eggs and cream
- Mix eggs, cream, and vanilla together.
- Pour cream mixture into dry and stir together with a wooden spoon.
- Turn batter into greased 8-inch square cake pan.
- Bake for
35 to 4525 - 30 minutes.
I enjoyed the process of making this cake very much since it was very straightforward and easy. The batter was rather stiff after adding the cream egg mixture so I poured in another tablespoon of cream just to loosen it up a little bit. Overall the batter was very sticky and heavy. The recipe didn't say whether or not the batter would be on the dry side so I can't say whether this was right or not. I don't think it would hurt to up the amount of cream to 1 1/3 cup when pouring in the cup with the two eggs.
* * *
Okay so I just pulled the cake out after only 25 minutes and it's definitely done. I'm going to go with definitely add more cream to this cake. I think mine loooks dry. Taste test tomorrow and lemon mousse, I promise.
The result: an on the dry side, lightly flavored, but very nice cake. I almost want to call it closer to shortcake consistency, but not as dry and crumbly. The vanilla, of course, is the predominant flavor and aroma, and the cake has a light sweetness that is very pleasing. I think this would make a great tea cake and is excellent for anyone looking for a easy and delicious white cake recipe.