Saturday, July 22, 2006
Sweet Potato Pound Cake
My second try at a dessert made with sweet potatoes and hopefully one that will turn out better than the last. I've cooked my sweet potatoes and plan to rice them next and whip up this pound cake. While gathering my ingredients, I had a bit of a kitchen accident:
After making this mess I thought to myself, "well, now my kitchen is christened." I really think everyone should spill some flour in their kitchen. It's good luck.
Sweet Potato Pound Cake
From Cooks.com
I did mix up the order of two of the directions: I added the eggs before the sweet potatoes and I ended up with what looked like a curdled orange mess that went away as soon as I started adding the flour mixture. I'm pretty sure no harm was done.
I left out both the pecans and the coconut because I didn't have any pecans and didn't feel like going to the store and I don't particularly care for coconut.
This recipe makes a huge batch! I don't know what a "tube pan" is but it must be very large. I opted for my mini-bunts again and got 11, the same as the zucchini chocolate cake so you could probably use a full sized bundt pan for this as well.
* * *
Okay so a tube pan is a bundt pan, who knew? I just did a quick search on Yahoo shopping.
My cakes are cooling as I blog and they smell wonderful. My mini-bundts took only 20 minutes to cook, although my oven did get a little hot because I wasn't watching it carefully.
The result: another "pound" cake that I would say was better described as a cake. The end product was moist, but not as moist as either of the zucchini cakes and quite airy. The spices give it a nice aroma and all of the flavor. The cake has a nice light orange color and you can see darker flecks of the sweet potato. Personally, this is my second least-favorite of the veggie recipes, not that it's bad.
After making this mess I thought to myself, "well, now my kitchen is christened." I really think everyone should spill some flour in their kitchen. It's good luck.Sweet Potato Pound Cake

From Cooks.com
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 cups mashed, cooked sweet potatoes
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon soda
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1/2 cups flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add sweet potatoes and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
- Mix flour mixture into creamed mixture.
- Add vanilla, nuts, and coconut.
- Pour mixture into greased 10 inch tube pan and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour 15 minutes or until cake test done.
I did mix up the order of two of the directions: I added the eggs before the sweet potatoes and I ended up with what looked like a curdled orange mess that went away as soon as I started adding the flour mixture. I'm pretty sure no harm was done.I left out both the pecans and the coconut because I didn't have any pecans and didn't feel like going to the store and I don't particularly care for coconut.
This recipe makes a huge batch! I don't know what a "tube pan" is but it must be very large. I opted for my mini-bunts again and got 11, the same as the zucchini chocolate cake so you could probably use a full sized bundt pan for this as well.
My cakes are cooling as I blog and they smell wonderful. My mini-bundts took only 20 minutes to cook, although my oven did get a little hot because I wasn't watching it carefully.
The result: another "pound" cake that I would say was better described as a cake. The end product was moist, but not as moist as either of the zucchini cakes and quite airy. The spices give it a nice aroma and all of the flavor. The cake has a nice light orange color and you can see darker flecks of the sweet potato. Personally, this is my second least-favorite of the veggie recipes, not that it's bad.