Sunday, June 18, 2006
Petits Beurres
I was so excited to see this recipe on Chocolate and Zucchini for a homemade Le Petit Beurre, a brand of cookie you can buy at most grocery stores. I love Petit Beurre, they are, as luck would have it, not very sweet and wafer-like, but drier, and they go great with a cup of tea.
Petits Beurres
From Clotilde of Chocolate and Zucchini
Directions:
The result was a nice wafer-like cookie that was quite a bit too salty. I would half the amount of salt at least and maybe even go as little as two pinches. I'm sure I used unsalted butter and make sure you do too or don't add any salt at all. When you look at the ratio of ingredients, the salt is a bit high. This recipe only makes about 1 1/2 dozen cookies so you don't get a huge amount of dough. I will try these again with less salt and see if they work better that way.
Petits Beurres

From Clotilde of Chocolate and Zucchini
- 200 grams (1 2/3 cup) all-purpose flour
- 80 grams (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, diced
- 40 grams (3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon) sugar
- 5 grams (1 teaspoon) fine salt
- 2 to 3 tablespoons crème fraiche or heavy cream
Directions:
- In a medium mixing-bowl, rub together the butter and flour until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Form a well in the center, and add the sugar, salt, and 2 tablespoons crème fraîche into the well.
- Stir with a fork in a circular motion starting from the center until the cream is absorbed, then knead the dough gently until smooth.
- If the dough is too dry to come together, add a little more cream, one teaspoon at a time, until you reach the desired consistency.
- Divide the dough in two, and gather each half into a slightly flattened ball.
- Wrap in plastic and chill for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350 °F) and grease a baking sheet with butter.
- Working with one ball of dough at a time, roll it out on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of about 1/2 centimeter (1/5 inch).
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out cookies, and transfer them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Prick the cookies all over with the head of a pin, and slip into the oven to bake for 12 to 15 minutes, keeping a close eye on them, until golden and just slightly browned at the edges.
The result was a nice wafer-like cookie that was quite a bit too salty. I would half the amount of salt at least and maybe even go as little as two pinches. I'm sure I used unsalted butter and make sure you do too or don't add any salt at all. When you look at the ratio of ingredients, the salt is a bit high. This recipe only makes about 1 1/2 dozen cookies so you don't get a huge amount of dough. I will try these again with less salt and see if they work better that way.