Wednesday, June 28, 2006
Lemon Cream Cupcakes
I've just pulled these cupcakes from the oven and will let them cool for the duration of this blog post. I don't think I'll be able to comment on the taste tonight since the thought of eating something so rich at 10:30 just isn't appetizing to me. As promised, here is the recipe that came with my newly purchased mini rose bundt pan.
Lemon Cream Cupcakes
From the cardboard sleeve that came with my mini rose bundt pan
Though the instructions don't say so, I used my kitchenaid mixer for all steps of the cupcake batter, including the last where I added the flour to the butter mixture instead of visa versa as they suggest. I don't know why they tell you to do that, it seems rather unnecessary.
I was stingy on the sugar with this recipe as well. I mean, 1 1/2 cups of sugar for 6 mini roses is a lot! I'm sure it's meant to balance out the tartness of the lemon juice but I think my just over 1 cup of sugar will do that just as well.
There is nothing "smooth" about adding 6 eggs to creamed butter, sugar and lemon juice, even when beating well after adding each one. At best you get what looks like curdled cream until you add the flour and then it all comes together just fine.
Making the cream cheese filling was quick and easy requiring only a small bowl and a spoon. As I made it the smell reminded me of cheese blintz's and I also thought this sweet concoction would be quite versatile as a layer cake filling, or spread on crepes, or perhaps swirled though some brownies before baking. I may have to try all of these.
I carefully followed the directions about filling the rose wells, adding first 1/3 cup of batter, followed by a blob of cream cheese filling in the center, followed by more batter, handily covering the cream cheese center.
I baked my rose cupcakes for exactly 25 minutes and they were done. The edges around the tops (or bottoms, really) were golden brown. I used a toothpick to check their status, only realizing after I pulled it out that the center was the cream cheese filling and not likely to be solid. As luck would have it I made one without the filling for my roomie who is sadly, lactose intolerant, and requested a plain one, so I checked it and it was cooked through and through.
I believe they've cooled enough now for me to remove them and take a photo. There will be a brief pause in my entry as I do this. Pardon.
***
Well, success! The picture doesn't do the mini roses justice. I used my pam with flour spray and I have to say the roses just fell right out of the pan when I turned it. Beautiful!
I did take a taste since I sliced off little rounded tops (or bottoms, really) so that they would sit nicely when turned and had some extras to nibble on. The consistency is very similar to the lemon orange pound cakes, a recipe that came with the sleeve on my mini flower bundt pan. The taste is nicely lemon and has a spongy, moist texture.
Since I'll be on my bike tomorrow for my trip to work, these little cakes will be sent with my roomie to her office. I'd love it if someone would let me know how the cream cheese filling is.
Lemon Cream Cupcakes

From the cardboard sleeve that came with my mini rose bundt pan
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 eggs
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Whisk in 2 tablespoons lemon zest.
- In another bowl, blend butter 1 1/2 cups sugar and 3 tablespoons lemon juice until smooth.
- Beat eggs in one at a time until smooth.
- Stir butter mixture into flour mixture until well combined.
- In a small bowl, stir together cream cheese, 1 teaspoon lemon zest, 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Spoon 1/3 cup batter into each well.
- Divide cream cheese mixture evenly between wells onto batter layer.
- Spoon remaining batter evenly over each cream cheese layer.
- Bake 25 - 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes before turning out.
Though the instructions don't say so, I used my kitchenaid mixer for all steps of the cupcake batter, including the last where I added the flour to the butter mixture instead of visa versa as they suggest. I don't know why they tell you to do that, it seems rather unnecessary.
I was stingy on the sugar with this recipe as well. I mean, 1 1/2 cups of sugar for 6 mini roses is a lot! I'm sure it's meant to balance out the tartness of the lemon juice but I think my just over 1 cup of sugar will do that just as well.
There is nothing "smooth" about adding 6 eggs to creamed butter, sugar and lemon juice, even when beating well after adding each one. At best you get what looks like curdled cream until you add the flour and then it all comes together just fine.
Making the cream cheese filling was quick and easy requiring only a small bowl and a spoon. As I made it the smell reminded me of cheese blintz's and I also thought this sweet concoction would be quite versatile as a layer cake filling, or spread on crepes, or perhaps swirled though some brownies before baking. I may have to try all of these.
I carefully followed the directions about filling the rose wells, adding first 1/3 cup of batter, followed by a blob of cream cheese filling in the center, followed by more batter, handily covering the cream cheese center.
I baked my rose cupcakes for exactly 25 minutes and they were done. The edges around the tops (or bottoms, really) were golden brown. I used a toothpick to check their status, only realizing after I pulled it out that the center was the cream cheese filling and not likely to be solid. As luck would have it I made one without the filling for my roomie who is sadly, lactose intolerant, and requested a plain one, so I checked it and it was cooked through and through.
I believe they've cooled enough now for me to remove them and take a photo. There will be a brief pause in my entry as I do this. Pardon.
I did take a taste since I sliced off little rounded tops (or bottoms, really) so that they would sit nicely when turned and had some extras to nibble on. The consistency is very similar to the lemon orange pound cakes, a recipe that came with the sleeve on my mini flower bundt pan. The taste is nicely lemon and has a spongy, moist texture.
Since I'll be on my bike tomorrow for my trip to work, these little cakes will be sent with my roomie to her office. I'd love it if someone would let me know how the cream cheese filling is.