Monday, June 12, 2006
Blueberry Lemon Corn Muffins
I'm very, very pleased with this recipe for blueberry corn muffins--they turned out to be absolutely delicious. If you like corn bread, you're going to love these. The original recipe on Epicurious made 6 muffins so I've gone ahead and doubled it for my recipe below so you will get a round dozen. The only thing I didn't double were the egg yolks, mostly because I forgot, but since they turned out so well without them, I leave them out here too.
Blueberry Lemon Corn Muffins
From Epicurious.com
I was a little stingy on the sugar and I think if you wanted to cut it to 3/4 cup you could. I also refrained (read forgot) to sprinkle the tops with the remaining sugar which I didn't miss at all and probably won't do in the future since these guys are sweet enough without it.
Since you fill the muffin cups all the way to the top with batter, you can see that they rise a little but not so much that you have to worry about blueberry muffin batter burning on the bottom of your oven. And I can't say this often enough: muffin liners are your friend. I also recommend spraying the top of your pan with pam before you fill it so that the muffin tops don't stick.
I cooked my muffins about 20 minutes for them to cook fully and have a nice golden top.
The result is a sweet, medium weight muffin, with tart bites of blueberry and a pleasingly crunchy texture thanks to the corn meal. Yum.
Blueberry Lemon Corn Muffins

From Epicurious.com
- paper muffin cup liners
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- generous pinch of salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line twelve 1/3-cup muffin cups with paper liners.
- Melt butter and cool.
- Into a large bowl sift together flour and baking powder and whisk in cornmeal, 1 cup sugar, lemon zest, and a generous pinch salt.
- In a bowl whisk together melted butter, milk, and yolks and add to flour mixture with 3/4 of blueberries, gently stirring until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly among cups (batter will fill cups) and press remaining blueberries into tops of muffins.
- Sprinkle tops of muffins evenly with remaining tablespoon sugar.
- Bake muffins in middle of oven about 15 minutes, or until tops are golden and a tester comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from cups and cool on a rack.
- Muffins keep in an airtight container at room temperature 2 days.
I was a little stingy on the sugar and I think if you wanted to cut it to 3/4 cup you could. I also refrained (read forgot) to sprinkle the tops with the remaining sugar which I didn't miss at all and probably won't do in the future since these guys are sweet enough without it.
Since you fill the muffin cups all the way to the top with batter, you can see that they rise a little but not so much that you have to worry about blueberry muffin batter burning on the bottom of your oven. And I can't say this often enough: muffin liners are your friend. I also recommend spraying the top of your pan with pam before you fill it so that the muffin tops don't stick.
I cooked my muffins about 20 minutes for them to cook fully and have a nice golden top.
The result is a sweet, medium weight muffin, with tart bites of blueberry and a pleasingly crunchy texture thanks to the corn meal. Yum.