Thursday, May 18, 2006
Scrumptious Chocolate Cake (featured in butter cream frosting #1)
Another in the series of recipes found on the packaging of products: this time the tin of Hershey's cocoa. I first made this cake many years ago when I was desperate for something sweet. It's been a favorite ever since. So moist and delicious on it's own, it doesn't even need frosting (at least I think so).
Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake
From the Hershey's Cocoa tin
Mixer is optional. I used a handy wooden spoon for all steps, making sure to mix well.
This batter is very thin so don't be worried when you end up with what looks like dark chocolate soup. Make sure to grease and flour your pans liberally (or just use cup cake liners like I did) because this cake will stick. If you're a parchment paper person, that would be even better.
Don't overfill your pans. My cupcakes overflowed--I filled the cups about 3/4 up the side and should have only filled it 1/2 way.
The judgment: an easy to make, moist and delicious chocolate cake that everyone loves. Really, I don't think I've ever had a complaint. A great standard for your recipe box.
Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake

From the Hershey's Cocoa tin
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Hershey's cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour two 9" round pans.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla.
- Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Stir in boiling water. Batter will be thin.
- Pour into pans.
- Bake 30 - 35 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks.
Mixer is optional. I used a handy wooden spoon for all steps, making sure to mix well.
This batter is very thin so don't be worried when you end up with what looks like dark chocolate soup. Make sure to grease and flour your pans liberally (or just use cup cake liners like I did) because this cake will stick. If you're a parchment paper person, that would be even better.
Don't overfill your pans. My cupcakes overflowed--I filled the cups about 3/4 up the side and should have only filled it 1/2 way.
The judgment: an easy to make, moist and delicious chocolate cake that everyone loves. Really, I don't think I've ever had a complaint. A great standard for your recipe box.