Tuesday, May 30, 2006
Candied Pecans
Let me just say that it was really difficult to take an appetizing photo of these candied pecans (and almonds). This was the best of a bad lot so please don't be put off by the way the photo came out. This recipe comes to me via my sister who also gives the warning.
Candied Pecans--Beware, hard to stop eating.
From my sister who got it at the Chicago Flower & Garden Show "The Garden Gourmet" Chef's recipes sponsored by Jewel-OSHA.
The rest was pretty easy--nothing to really trip you up here. I only cooked mine for 20 minutes and the outer edges were a little burnt so I tossed a few pieces. I also added some almonds because I bought a 6 oz. bag of pecans.
The end result is not too sweet which I like. Definitely go with just pecans for this recipe. My almonds were a little burnt tasting while the pecans were just right. My sister said she tried using walnuts as well and also recommended against it. I'll be bringing these to work and also sending them with my roomie to her office so hopefully someone can give their more detailed opinion.
Candied Pecans--Beware, hard to stop eating.

From my sister who got it at the Chicago Flower & Garden Show "The Garden Gourmet" Chef's recipes sponsored by Jewel-OSHA.
- 5 oz brown sugar (just under 2/3 cup)
- 8 oz pecans (1 cup)
- 2 oz whole butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 oz corn syrup (2 tablespoons)
- pinch of salt
- Melt butter, brown sugar and salt in a saucepan with corn syrup.
- Allow the sugar to fully dissolve.
- Remove from heat and mix in pecans so they're fully coated.
- Turn out onto a greased baking sheet and spread out so it's one layer of pecans thick. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-30 minutes.
- Allow to cool. It will come out of the oven all bubbly and look like kind of a mess, but it will cool to something like a thin pecan "brittle" that can be easily broken apart.
The rest was pretty easy--nothing to really trip you up here. I only cooked mine for 20 minutes and the outer edges were a little burnt so I tossed a few pieces. I also added some almonds because I bought a 6 oz. bag of pecans.
The end result is not too sweet which I like. Definitely go with just pecans for this recipe. My almonds were a little burnt tasting while the pecans were just right. My sister said she tried using walnuts as well and also recommended against it. I'll be bringing these to work and also sending them with my roomie to her office so hopefully someone can give their more detailed opinion.
Comments:
<< Home
I am the workmate who often gets to taste these yummy recipes featured on the blog - I just took a handful of these candied pecans and almonds and they are wonderful! I actually preferred the almonds to the pecans, but they are both delicious - and as she suggested, hard to stop eating!
Post a Comment
<< Home
