Tuesday, May 09, 2006
Baker's Tools
I'm the first to admit that I love a great kitchen gadget. There are many tools that apply, but only a few that have really impressed me. What follows is a list of can't-live-without tools for the home baker.
Bowls:
You can find better prices online for the kitchenaid. I bought mine some years ago at Amazon.com when they first started carrying kitchen stuff and got a good deal. Also check out the KitchenAid site for their clearance outlet and refurbished machines.
- wooden spoon
- large, medium, small mixing bowls in ceramic or glass.
- spatulas
- wire whisk
- set of measuring spoons
- set of measuring cups
- liquid measuring cup
- microplane
- oven mitts
- pam (cooking spray)
- toothpicks
- 2 cookie sheets
- 13x9" cake pan
- muffin pan
- mini-bread loaf pans
- electric mixer
Bowls:
- My favorite bowl set ever.
Not only are they stackable, they make great house warming or wedding gifts. I would own two sets if I had the room. I know you think you'll never use the teeny tiny little bowls...but trust me, they're so cute, you'll find a reason. - A batter bowl
A batter bowl is a medium bowl with a pouring spout on one side and a handle on the other. Look for a bowl with a rubber bottom for non-slip goodness. I just found a great one at Marshalls this weekend for $7.00.
- You will need a few kinds because the word "spatula" covers a few things. You want one that's used to flip pancakes. You also want spatulas for scraping the contents of bowls. I suggest at least 3: one large, one small, and one that's kind of spoon shaped.
- You can definitely get away with one of these to start with. A nice medium size will work fine. You can always use a fork as a substitute for a small one.
- Measuring spoons and cups come in a variety of shapes and materials. I say get what ever you want.
- Liquid measuring cup - I recommend at least one 2 cup measuring cup and I love the OXO brand plastic ones. They're light and they have measuring marks on the inside so you can measure by looking down into the cup instead of having the check the side all the time.
- Never has there been a gadget that has caught my fancy more. This tool is indispensable for getting the zest off whatever fruit quickly and without getting the bitter white pith underneath. Forget the box grater, that thing sucks, don't waste your hard earned money. Instead spend it on this elegant, functional, and beautiful kitchen instrument.
- I listed the minimum above. At the very least, you need a 13x9" pan. The others you could get away without at least until you want to make cookies, muffins, or bread. I like the mini-loafs pans because a regular loaf pan takes forever to cook and it's hard to get the middle cooked without burning the edges. Also, 4 mini loafs make it easier to transport my confections to work to share with everyone.
- I love pans of all shapes and sizes. I especially love anything mini, like mini-bundt pans, mini-angel food cake pans, mini-muffins, etc. as well as these new crazy shaped bundt pans like the castle and the gothic looking cake. I have many and my kitchen suffers for space because of it but I don't let that stop me. Cake is good, but I think it's better when it looks like a small bouquet of flowers. If you use these types of pans, you have to adjust the baking time accordingly.
- When I was a poor college student my mom bought me this great hand-held mixer from Sunbeam. Compact and sturdy, this mighty mite got me through those years until I finally had the money to buy myself a kitchenaid. I liked the beaters on the sunbeam because they are sturdy. This mixer will work for all but the most demanding recipe (like bread dough) and the price is right.
- When you are ready and have the room, there is no question as to what stand mixer you should buy. A caveat: not the lightest of machines. Unless this is going to be given it's proper place (of worship) out on the counter where everyone can see it, you may want to consider something else if the idea of hefting this beast from cabinet to counter doesn't sound like fun. My grandma actually gave hers to my brother and his wife for this very reason.
You can find better prices online for the kitchenaid. I bought mine some years ago at Amazon.com when they first started carrying kitchen stuff and got a good deal. Also check out the KitchenAid site for their clearance outlet and refurbished machines.